The Oikos Project
HELPING CONGREGATIONS USE THEIR PROPERTY TO FURTHER THEIR MINISTRY
The Oikos Accelerator empowers congregations around the US to align money and mission by creatively using their buildings and property to further their mission and build financial resilience.
By the end of the Oikos Accelerator, each organization will effectively design and launch a social enterprise that utilizes their church property in some form.
Oikos Accelerator will run for approximately one year from March 2021 through May 2022. 50 congregations will be selected for participation. Applications will be accepted this fall.
Oikos is the Greek term for household
— and it is also the etymological root of economics and ecology.
Impacts of The Oikos Accelerator
The Oikos Accelerator will help congregations:
- Understand the church’s changing context in terms of your ministry, local community, and financial model
- Imagine how your core mission and theology shapes the use of buildings and property in light of this changing context
- Expand your capacity to experiment, try new things, learn from failure, and try again
- Experiment with new, innovative uses of buildings and property that both further your mission and generate income
- Launch a social enterprise utilizing your church property
Who is The Oikos Accelerator Designed For?
The Oikos Accelerator is perfect for your congregation if you:
- Own buildings and property
- Perceive your challenges as opportunities
- Are interested in trying new things, particularly with social enterprise
- Are wondering how to best fulfill your mission in your current environment
- Have capacity to make changes as a result of your involvement